Welcome to my Blog!!

Hi, I’m Alyson, a wedding a portrait photographer based in Huntsville, AL. I love Jesus, my family, photography and life!!! So much of our memory is tied to photographs. Just one picture of a special time or moment can bring back a rush of memories and emotion. This blog will keep you posted on all my new weddings and events. My personal page shows a little more about my life and what I’ve been up to!! Please send comments if you have any questions or just want to say Hi! Enjoy!!









Happy Birthday Jesus

Thursday, December 3, 2009

I was seriously considering skipping my bible study last night and meeting up for dinner with my college friends in Birmingham. It's been forever since I've seen them and miss them, but really felt I should keep my priorities straight and go to bible study...and I'm so glad I did.


This Christmas I have been thinking a lot about what really matters. Maybe it's because all around me I see Christ slipping more and more out of the "holiday season" with the "holiday trees" etc. It makes me sad and it also has made me so much more aware of the need for Christians to really celebrate Christmas for what it is...

With that said. When I was in bible study last night, that I considered skipping, the topic of Christmas traditions was raised and one of my friends said she and her kids bake a cake to celebrate Jesus' birthday. They blow out the candles and everything. I thought this was such a fun idea and shared it with Pat and we laughed about how you could get 2000 candles on a cake or whether there should be any since you are celebrating his zero birthday... Anyways I went to sleep last night thinking that would be a fun thing to add to our Christmas.

I woke up this morning with an entirely different perspective. I was again thinking about the candles and Jesus' birth and I realized I've missed a huge truth in the celebration of Christmas. I was raised in an amazing Christian home and mom and dad did a wonderful job teaching us the true meaning of Christmas. We always shopped for an angel child, served at Give Thanks, read the story of Jesus' birth and went to Holy Communion on Christmas Eve. All things I hope to continue. But what I realized is that I think one reason some of the true power of Christ has been lost in our celebration is that we are treating this as a time to celebrate the baby Jesus. Now don't get me wrong, I totally believe that his humble beginnings show the true power of God to use anyone or any situation for his glory... but what I really want to be celebrating is the life and death of Christ. His sacrifice which gave the ultimate gift of salvation and eternity to spend with Him.

My grandmomma died in the spring of 2008. She was one of my favorite people in the whole world and I miss her so much. Anyone who ever knew her, loved her. When her birthday came this August, I wasn't thinking about my grandmothers birth (I really know nothing of that) ~ I was thinking of (and celebrating) her life. The impact she had on me and on my life. How many people she blessed with her smiles and joy. That's what Birthday celebrations are about...celebrating the LIFE of the one you love!

I think what I've been missing is using Christmas time to celebrate the life of Jesus and all that he did for me. Yes, baby Jesus is important... But Jesus as my risen Savior means more.

It's a time to celebrate our freedom from sin and God's power in our lives. So this year we are going to have a birthday party for Jesus to celebrate all he has done and his ultimate gift of salvation.

In seeking to find ways to make Christmas more meaningful for my girls, God instead taught me.

Some verses of encouragement and truth:

John 3:16 16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 3:23 "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God"

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

John 1:12 "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—"

Revelation 3:20 "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."

Romans 10:13 "for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.""

Romans 10:9 "If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

John 14:6 "Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Romans 8:1-2 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death."


Praise God for freedom in Christ. Celebrate Christ this Christmas.

4 comments:

Nolen Family said...

A beautiful post and so very true! We started celebrating Jesus' birthday last year. We made him a red velvet cake (what I think Jesus would like of course!) and sang Happy Birthday to him at our Christmas gathering. The kids really enjoyed it! The sweetest thing was later in the day sweet Jack told Andrea and Hank "I had fun at Jesus' birthday party!". When they called and told me that, it made my day. After all Jesus is what it is ALL about!! I love Him dearly and He is with me every day but to get to celebrate His beautiful birth brings such joy to my heart!

This year, He is getting a few decorations! I am silly but I saw some cute plates and napkins that I thought would be perfect for His birthday!

Nolen Family said...

I meant to say "We started celebrating Jesus' birthday party last year". After I reread my post (like I always do and thank goodness for it!) I realized I forgot "party". We have always celebrated His birth at Christmas! LOL!!!

Unknown said...

i love your heart. I love watching you grow as a Christian woman, wife and mother. It is a joy to be your friend.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little behind on your blog but really enjoyed getting caught up! I especially loved this particular post. Our pastor spoke last week about how we always say "Jesus is the reason for the season" and He certainly is, but he also pointed out that WE (sinners) are also the reason for the season. God sent his son as a baby to SAVE us. He showed up FOR us becuase we are messed up and in need of a Savior. I think that is so cool!